Monday 14 January 2013

Capturing the different stages of a painting

It starts with a sketch, and at the beginning, one does not always know how a painting, a journal page, will turn out at the end. The process, the evolution is part of the fun. I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do. A portrait in grey tones, with only a little touch of colour.


Somehow, it still always surprises me how a painting evolves and changes with every stage. And I like to capture the different stages on camera. It's good to look back and see what certain changes will do to the picture, where one went wrong, where one maybe should have left it. It may also give inspiration for another picture. I quite like the sketchy stage, where I first added some colours (left row, middle) and I'd like to do another one like it. But probably the most useful lesson of seeing the different stages is that it's always worth going on working on it, even if there are moments, when you're so frustrated that you just want to throw it out of the window. Just keep going. Until you're happy with it. It's worth it. (Most of the time, anyway).

6 comments:

  1. It is so beautiful! Really intriguing and I love the messages that sing from your pages :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is very captivating, I love the tones and seeing your evolution, always so interesting coming here, thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see how a work progresses. This is a beautiful piece - I love the combination of the greys with the slightest hint of rosy colour. You always display your work on your blog so beautifully too - I love the rounded corners of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the stages as well. Thanks for sharing,
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW WOW What is this beautiful. Fantastic work and the different staps, marvelous.
    lovely greet
    Marja

    ReplyDelete