Friday 10 March 2017

More oil painting exploration

There's so much about oil painting to learn. I adore the paintings of the old masters, and I do want to learn how to build up a painting through layers - eventually. But at the moment, I'm trying to concentrate on the Alla Prima, or direct, painting technique first. Which is basically to finish a painting in one go, wet in wet. A technique that, actually, many of the old, as well as more recent, masters used too, for different reasons. It's certainly tricky to add layers to a still wet layer of paint without turning everything into mud. And I'm definitely at the struggling stage. But when you're just starting with oil painting, you want to see some results, a finished picture, quite quickly, without having to wait for weeks and weeks, with each layer having to dry first, before you can continue.


Well, this isn't really an Alla Prima painting, as I intend to work a bit more on it, once this first layer has dried. But I did try to get down as much as possible in the first layer. It's really just play. Seeing what you can do with the paints. How you can move them around, how far you can go. It's entirely done from imagination. Inspired by my upcoming holiday near the sea at the end of the month. And while I want it to be loose and slightly abstract, I do want to give it a bit more definition and depth. But first I have to wait a good week or so. Inspired by this blog post by Lisa Sonora, I started to keep a studio journal at the beginning of the year, at the same time I decided to finally tackle oil painting. With such long drying times in between, it's useful to make notes of the colours used, as well as anything that comes to your mind. In this case, I made some notes about what I want to do with it next time.


To help me learn more and dive deeper into oil painting, I did what I always do in such a case - I bought some books. I just started reading the top one, Alla Prima, and it's fascinating, and very inspiring. All the beautiful images in the book are Alla Prima paintings, and at this stage, I really just can't get my head around how it is possible to achieve that!


I worked a bit more on my still life a couple of weeks ago. It still needs a lot of work, obviously. I made the shadow areas far too green, due to a tinge in the photo I'm using as reference, since I put away the original set up a long time ago. The bright pink in front is completely wrong too, but I'm quite pleased with how parts of the book have turned out so far.


And last but not least a touch of spring. The weather this week is very dull, grey and wet, but these lovely tulips bring a bit of spring into my home. Did I mention that I love the macro feature on my new lens?

16 comments:

  1. Your oil painting is gorgeous, really love it.
    Thank you for the sweet touch of spring, too!
    Happy PPF Birthday party ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nordljus, you're doing well with the oil painting - I can empathise in regard to the drying in between factor. I also love your still life, the colours really appeal to me and I really like how you've achieved the sheen on the book cover.
    Such pretty flowers. Happy PPF :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both pieces are gorgeous! I want to touch all the texture in the first one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work , especially the first one, wow! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous painting, even in its unfinished state. Love the colors and the style!!!
    Your still life is wonderful!
    I also love your photos...great post Nordljus~

    Happy PPF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that painting is something else! So gorgeous! The blues and the browns are wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes painting with oils is much different but you are doing great. I really like this piece. Your still life is also very good. Your photo of flowers brings joy. Have a very nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You seem to be doing a marvelous job with oil painting! They are both so beautiful-even though I am partial to the first one:) Lovely tulips to end the post with. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! Both of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your oil painting is very exciting and interesting as is. Beware of overworking. I like the (palette knife?) slashes vertically, they have a lot of energy.
    I love your still life also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is something I love so much about your still life. I love the shadowing the colour combination. It's such a cozy calming piece. I could stare at it for ages!! I can't imagine any improvements!! The other painting is so full of excitement and great movement!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting to read about your oil painting! I am learning acrylics and in reading about the problems people can have with blending in acrylics I have read a bit about oil painting. (My husband is an oil painter - he always paints Alla Prima.) I love your first painting in this post - lots if energy in those lines and the blues are beautiful. I also like your still life - I think the coffee pot and cups are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So Luv the texturing in the first one

    Have a creative weekend

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how thick the paint is and how you scratched into it. It gives a beautiful result!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a wonderful medium isn't it? And I love your painting... all the textures... Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the paintings you are accomplishing. I haven't tried the oil yet, still on watercolor, then acrylic. Good luck, sounds like a plan. Blessings, Janet.

    ReplyDelete